2024 AfWA Research Scholarships for African Water and Sanitation Professionals.

2023 AfWA Research Scholarships for African Water and Sanitation Professionals.
2023 AfWA Research Scholarships for African Water and Sanitation Professionals.

2023 AfWA Research Scholarships for African Water and Sanitation Professionals.

Young African water and sanitation professionals are receiving research scholarships from the African Water Association (AfWA) as part of the USAID-funded Capacity-Building Program for African Stakeholders in the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Sector (AfriCap). The target beneficiaries are engineers in their final year of training and master students. Each fellowship, with a maximum value of USD 1,000 (one thousand US dollars), will therefore allow recipients to do research on a subject connected to the WASH sector that has been approved by a scientific report.
African Water Association had provided sixty (60) scholarships accordingly to students from eleven (11) nations in West and Central Africa over the academic years 2016–17, 2017–18, and 2018–19. Additional three-year scholarships will be given out in various parts of Africa (2021-2024).
Not to mention students from 13 nations have received fifteen (15) scholarships for the academic year 2021–2022. Additional fifteen (15) scholarships will be given out across Africa for the school year 2022-2023.

Application Requirements For The AfWA Research Scholarships

Applicants for the scholarship programme will choose a theme from this call for applications to which they will relate their research questions. They will also be able to submit an application for one of the study subjects that an AfWA member has suggested. Topics will be accessible on the website of the African Water Association. The following prerequisites must be met by applicants in order to apply:

  1. Possess citizenship in one of the qualified sub-Saharan African nations.
  2. Being in good academic standing with their university.
  3. Send in an application file that contains:
  4. Student ID or current-year registration receipt
  5. Most recent degree earned
  6. Personal statement (3 pages max)
  7. Three letters of recommendation (one should be from the academic supervisor)
  8. Download a research proposal form from the AfWA website.

Monetary Aspect

The maximum amount each recipient may certainly receive as part of this scholarship is US $1,000. Upon completion, approval by the research supervisor coupled with the receipt by the AfWA Research and Capacity Development Program Coordinator, sixty percent (60%) of this sum will be paid to the recipient. Therefore once the grantee turns in the electronic version of their final research report, the remaining 40% will be reimbursed.

Submission Process

Meanwhile application materials must be submitted electronically through contact@afwa-hq.org

The AfWA website will therefore post the list of selected applicants: www.afwa-hq.org and AfWA will thereafter provide a formal notification to each beneficiary.

Submission Deadline

By April 15, 2023, students who wants to undoubtedly be a part of the programme must submit their complete application. Afterwards by June 15, 2023, the list of winners for the academic year 2022–2023 will be made public.

Research Themes

However, the following research topics were selected for this scholarship program for the 2022-2023 academic year:

  1. Approaches to reducing Non-Revenue Water in water utilities
  2. Improved Water Quality Control
  3. Water services in low-income urban areas
  4. Improvement of urban and peri-urban sanitation
  5. ICT use (Digitalization) in water and sanitation services
  6. Water resources management
  7. Water, sanitation, and gender.Application Deadline: April 15, 2023.
0 Shares:
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like