Interested candidates are invited to apply for the MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship Program for the academic year 2023-2024.
The fellowship will be awarded for the duration specified in the grant letter, which cannot be extended or shortened. The grant is only available to the person named in the grant letter.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): MATSUMAE International Foundation, Japan
Scholarship Type: Fully-funded.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023
Host Institution(s): Institution in Japan (Universities, National research institutions)
Scholarship Worth: JPY 220,000 monthly allowance, JPY 120,000 for living cost
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Nationality: International Students
MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship| DETAILS
Fellowships are only awarded to successful applicants and are intended to cover living expenses and research activities in Japan. This fellowship is not transferable under any circumstances.
The Matsumae International Fellowship will not be involved in any way with regard to the selected applicant’s immigration procedures, airline tickets, or accommodation expenses.
To be eligible for the MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship Program 2023, you must meet the following requirements:
Non-Japanese nationals who meet all of the requirements listed below are eligible to submit application documents.
- Prior to applying, applicants must obtain an invitation (acceptance) letter from a host institution in Japan.
- Applicants must be Ph.D. holders. (Doctoral degree).
- Applicants must be 49 years of age or younger at the time of application.
- Applicants must be fluent in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicants should not have any prior or current experience living in Japan. (other than short-term stays such as for sightseeing or conferences)
- Applicants must have a job in their home countries, intend to return there after completing their fellowship, and contribute to their community’s development of their own country.
Successful candidates for the MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship Program will receive the following benefits:
- A monthly allowance of JPY 220,000 is provided to cover research expenses (including materials) as well as living expenses in Japan.
- JPY 120,000 is provided to cover some of the initial living expenses in Japan.
- Round-trip economy class airfare is provided between the grantee’s domicile and Tokyo, Japan.
- Overseas travel insurance includes medical treatment and a death benefit.
- During their fellowship, MIF fellowship recipients are invited to participate in a study tour to further their understanding of Japan.
How to Apply
Please download and complete the application form. A photograph of the applicant taken within the last three months must be attached.
Please ensure that the form is completely filled out.
Applicants must email their application documents to the MIF. The email address is: email@example.com.
Applications will not be accepted before or after the application period for any reason.